With all of the new arrivals coming in, we’ve decided to get our staff member Molly Szkotak to choose some her favorite new items, as well as some items that keep her going throughout the winter. Not sure what it takes to survive a cold winter in Richmond? Take a look.
1. D’Angelo Returns: Richmond’s own reclusive R&B legend recently announced his first tour in years and upcoming album and people are rightfully freaking out about it. Although he may not be at his “(Untitled) How Does it Feel” video prime, his soulful voice and production by ?uestlove should make it worth a listen. The bad news is all the concert dates are in Europe. Be right back, booking a ticket to Paris…
2. Instagram: I know everyone and their mom has this app now, but that makes it more fun! This addictive photo-sharing platform makes all your photos look cool and it’s fun to see the world through your friends’ eyes (and vintage filters.) I follow many fashion, food, and nail-art enthusiasts which makes for a constant stream of inspirational eye candy. Make sure to follow me at “Mollywho” and Need at “needsupplyco”!
3. Hot Yoga: This is one of the few workouts I actually enjoy when stuck in the dark and frigid winter doldrums. Some may think deep stretching and sweating profusely with strangers in a small room heated to 90 degrees sounds like torture but it’s actually heavenly. It’s cathartic and gets you in shape, not to mention that heating your core temperature fights colds. One of my favorite studios, Om On Yoga at Libbie and Grove, also doubles as a cute boutique.
4. Miansai Bracelets: Without fail, warm weather has me itching for anything that makes me look like I summer in Cape Cod or Martha’s Vineyard, and these nautical rope bracelets do just that. These charming, Friendship-style bracelets are a unique and colorful addition to any burgeoning arm party (and they’ll look even better with a tan.) Get one here.
5. Leonard 2 in Safari: Anyone who knows me is aware of my sick obsession with animal prints that puts any Real Housewife to shame. These beauties by Illesteva (the ILLEST EVA) have been on my short list the second we got them in stock. The large, round frames give them a vaguely Golden Girls vibe which can’t be beat. Get them here.
6. VMFA Elvis exhibit: One of the best cultural institutions Richmond has to offer currently has a great photo exhibit running called “Elvis at 21” that’s not to be missed. It features 56 (all taken in ’56) black and white photos by Alfred Wertheimer of the man at his youthful, snarling best (a.k.a. pre drugs and sequin jumpsuits.) The candid shots are an interesting peek into a young man’s life pre-stardom, and several were taken here in Richmond. Did I mention he’s really, realllly good looking?
7. Flea Bag in Normandy: Several stylish ladies in the office carry Fleabags and I’ve always admired the bags for their vintage frame and perfect not-too-big size. This one comes in a utilitarian surplus wool Italian army blanket with leather trim that could easily take you from winter to spring. I’m not one for trendy bags and this one is classic and useful enough to last years. The best part is it’s also on sale! Get it here.
8. Cookout: Sometimes you just need a cheeseburger and milkshake, and this place is my standard when I need a fast and cheap fix. You can find the chain only in a few select states south of the Mason-Dixon which has given it a cult-like fame. Dare I say it’s better than In-n-Out? Yeah, I said it. They also have 46(!) milkshake flavors. Try the peanut butter banana.
9. Patrik Ervell shirt: A collared shirt fetish has swept the Need office like wild fire, and this one is a favorite. 100% silk with super authentic men’s styling, this is a solid addition to any woman’s wardrobe. Fresh and clean navy + white is always a winning combination. Get it here.
10. Dolce Vita Jax: The fashion bloggers favorite finally hits the site this week in soft, summery, taupe suede. This classic ankle boot will look just as good with winter tights as it will tan legs come summer. The signature zipper tassel gives it extra sass appeal and the heel height is un-intimidating enough for everyday. Get yours here.