In honor of the Olympics and the beauty of competition, we’re having a little tournament next Thursday with big prizes and bragging rights for a year. On Thursday, August 16th, Need Supply Co. presents the first annual Richmond Table Tennis Championship held in the store. We’ll be clearing the floor out for a one-on-one co-ed championship starting promptly at 6:00pm. If you’re interested, then keep reading.
On Wednesday, August 8th, 12 noon EST, open registration will take place on our Facebook page. If you’re interested in playing, we’re accepting the first 8 people to sign up. There will be no “plus +1′s”, it’s first come, first served. It’s as simple as that. For the people who sign up and don’t show up to the games (shame on you), the people that comment after those initial 8 will be alternates to compete, chosen in the order that they sign up. So if you’re not one of the first 8 to sign up, there’s still a chance you will be able to play.
Look for the RTTC graphic on our Facebook page, Wednesday at 12n EST to register.
Think this tournament is limited to just 8 people? Wrong. We’ve also invited 8 of our friends to take you on. The tournament starts at 6pm sharp, so all players attending need to arrive to the store no later than 5:30pm on that Thursday. We’ll have drinks, music, and fish ‘n chips to keep you busy.
Official Rules of the Tournament:
1. First Round games will be played to 11 points.
2. First Round games are one match only, single elimination.
3. Quarter Finals, Semi Finals, and Final matches will be played to 21 points, single elimination.
4. To claim the win, player must win by a 2 point margin.
5. A point is scored after the ball is put into play.
6. The edges of the table are part of the legal table surface, but not the sides.
1. Service must begin with ball in an open palm. The ball must be tossed up at least 6 inches and struck so the ball first bounces on the server’s side and then on the opponent’s side.
2. If toss is faulty before ball crosses the net onto the opponents side, server will be given one reserve.
3. If the serve is a legal serve except that it touches the net, it will be considered a let serve. Let serves are not scored and will be reserved.
First Round Play (to 11 points)
1. Players will serve two points in a row and then switch server.
2. If a score of 10-10 is reached, players switch serves for every serve past that score.
Post First Round Play (to 21 points)
1. Players will serve 5 points in a row and then switch server.
2. If a score of 20-20 is reached, players switch serves for every serve past that score.
Need Supply Co. will be providing table tennis paddles with non-dimpled rubber blades, and will be playing with 40mm regulation orange balls. If you have your own paddle, we encourage you to bring it. Don’t forget to keep an eye on our Facebook this coming Wednesday to register.