RECIPE: OAT FLOUR BANANA FLAPJACKS
February 15 2014
This recipe came about from a boring obsession with oatmeal. I was fed up with bland wheat flour based pancakes that relied on syrup for their flavor. I had a revelation: to make oat flour with oats and a coffee grinder. The banana give a natural sweetness so that syrup is not a necessity. The base recipe is below but feel free to throw in fruit, pumpkin puree, ground flax, etc. In some parts these are called pancakes, but I like using the term flapjacks because they’re made with oats.
Oat Flour Banana Flapjacks Recipe
- 1 banana
- 1 egg
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup milk / soymilk /almondmilk
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 allspice seeds or 1/4 tsp vanilla or 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Smash the banana in a large bowl. Ripe bananas are sweeter and work best.
- Mix in the egg and milk but leave some lumps.
- In a coffee grinder, add whole oats, baking powder and allspice. Grind for a few minutes then incorporate with the wet mixture.
- Cook for a few minutes on each side at medium heat in butter or coconut oil.
- Serve with a slice of lemon and powdered sugar, maple syrup or apple butter.